Acne is one of the most common skin diseases during adolescence, affecting an approx 80-90% of teenagers characterized by blackheads, whiteheads, papules, nodules, pimples and possibly scarring. Aside from scarring, its main effects are psychological, such as reduced self esteem and in very extreme cases depression to suicide.
Abhishek Hospital has recently acquired a latest top of the line treatment for acne scars and facial rejuvenation known as Intra-Dermal RF. This technology involves a set of very tiny needles which goes into the skin and simultaneously gives RF current which causes good stimulation for collagen lying.
Laser resurfacing and Intra-Dermal RF if done simultaneously gives excellent results in acne scarring.
Many different treatments exist for acne scars. Decreased intake of carbohydrates like sugar will help reducing acne.
Medications for acne include: Benzoyl peroxide, antibiotics (either topical or by pill), retinoids, antiseborrheic medications, anti-androgen medications, hormonal treatments, salicylic acid, alpha hydroxyacid, azelaicacid, nicotinamide and keratolytic soaps.
Early and aggressive treatment is advocated by some to lessen the overall long term impact to individuals.
Basically we treat Acne scars in 3 steps:
1. PRE PROCEDURE- Initially dermatologists at our hospital diagnose whether the acne is mild or moderate or severe one. Then we prescribe the lotions and anti-acne cream.
2. ACTUAL PROCEDURE- Acne scarring is the result of inflammation in the lower layer of the skin called dermis which causes the collagen to become deformed or scarred, resulting in the depressions or alleviations in the skin.
- Laser Therapy is commonly used modality in the treatment of acne scars. Laser resurfacing has long been used in the treatment of acne scars.
- Traditional resurfacing lasers like CO2 or erbium can cause improvement in acne scars but require 3-8 weeks down time.
- A new laser resurfacing procedure, named Fractional Resurfacing is currently the most effective laser procedure in the treatment of acne scars. This procedure resurfaces the skin gradually, 20-30% at a time, which allows for rapid healing while eliminating the risk of rawness associated with traditional laser resurfacing procedures.
- The zones of thermal laser damage serve as a stimulus for collagen production filling in the pitted appearance of serve as a stimulus for collagen production.
- Treatments are typically done every 3-6 weeks. Scars on any body surface area can be treated with the fractional laser, although scars on the face respond the best.
- Patients have to be aware that there is no cure for (acne) scars but that the fractional Laser can result in significant improvement in the appearance of acne scars, far superior to any other procedures.
- Other treatments for severe acne scars may require –
- scar excision
- scar revision
- filler or fat injections
- chemical peels as per case to case.
After the treatment the prevention is also explained like washing oily face regularly and stop touching face often.
3. POST ROCEDURE- After the treatment the home remedies to keep the face clean is explained along with that regular checking of the affected skin to ensure flawless results.
Why does even washing of face several times does not prevents acne ?
Sometimes unusually the washing of face may cause oil glands to produce more oil causing it.
Who all are victims of cane?
Some people think that teenagers are common sufferers but acne can be to anyone irrespective of age and gender.
What is the acne recovery time period?
Acne is not sure about to get cleared 100% but the severity of it determines its recovery time.
Is it harmful to press the blemishes or acne scars?
At times, the squeezing may cause deeper inflammation and so dermatologists at Abhishek hospital do with extra care and attention.
Which is the most appropriate method to get rid of acne scars?
Laser treatment and chemical peeling are found to be much apt in an acne scar removal treatment.
Does diet plays a role in causing acne ?
It is a myth that acne is caused by poor diet but yes balanced diet is required for a refreshing skin.